cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:09:07 +0100

Quoting MJ Ray <mjr AT phonecoop.coop>:

I find it somewhat strange that my arguments about DRM-required players
are dismissed by some pro-format-banners because we can't hold one up
yet, but other pro-format-banners are using them to argue against me,
apparently unchallenged.

This is not a case of format bans. DRM can be contained within existing file
formats, Apple's use of MP4 is a good example of this. We are not discussing
banning MP4. Rather we are discussing how data stored in various file formats
affects the file legally.

If GPL-3 style obviating of DMCA law was possible, I would find DRM acceptible.
This despite the fact that the file format or its contents is unchanged.

DRM-banning clauses are an attempt to use law to outlaw code.

DRM is law, not code. And it is law that outlaws code, ask Skyralov. The GPL-3
demonstrates how TPM code can be written without the effects of TPM law. I
think we both agree that this would be a good way of tackling the issue.

We should fight smarter. The best approach is
to negate DRM through requiring people to meet our standards for sharing
in some way. I believe the Scottish clause does that.

The immediate effect of dual distribution, properly managed, is to resemble our
standards for sharing. Unless the distributor doesn't do a Zune version and you
are unwilling to buy an iPod. But after that first moment it either burdens
downstream producers in a way that providing source does not (I need source to
edit chmod, I do not need source to mash-up an OGG track), is irrelevent (if
people can edit and redistribute non-DRM version they do not need to receive a
DRM version), or is legally impossible (if they are not an author they cannot
add DRM). This is quite aside from the network effects Greg identifies.

- Rob.