cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: MJ Ray <mjr AT phonecoop.coop>
  • To: zotz AT 100jamz.com
  • Cc: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 13:26:53 +0100

drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 01 October 2006 04:37 pm, you wrote:
> > drew Roberts wrote: [...]
> > > The only way I can see you putting this as an argument to what Greg says
> > > is if you intend it to mean that the parallel version distributed must
> > > be
> > > playable on the same platform. Is that what you are saying?
> >
> > No, nor do I see why that would be the only way the parallel version
> > would be useful to Dave's prey.
>
> Well, when Dave and Don and Dan make the only players available on the
> market
> and all of them play DRM only files, how exactly does parallel distribution
> help?

It gives them - and, more importantly, those they distribute to - a
mutable copy.

I find it somewhat strange that my arguments about DRM-required players
are dismissed by some pro-format-banners because we can't hold one up
yet, but other pro-format-banners are using them to argue against me,
apparently unchallenged.

> > > [...] If Dave makes a platform that only plays DRM protected
> > > files and only he or selected "friends" are able to put the DRM on
> > > files,
> > > how is that to be handled?
> >
> > Maybe through adding conditions that Dave can meet but hinders his
> > business model, but mainly through using anti-cartel laws.
>
> Ahn now we are getting somewhere. See, is it now CC's purpose to organize
> and
> lobby for sane copyright laws? [...]

I do not know what CC's purpose is and I've been wondering for some
time. Where are CC's governing documents?

> > Copyright licences are not a panacea. I feel that using copyright
> > licences to try to enforce private law changes -
>
> So, you are against copyleft - all rights reversed? If the implication of
> what
> you say immediately above is that, we may be too far apart to come to
> agreement in any small timeframe. If it does not go that far, please
> explain
> to me exactly why.

I'm not against copyleft. Copyleft is a type of copyright compromise,
that anyone can have permission if they meet certain standards when
using that permission. It uses law to regulate actions, not code.

DRM-banning clauses are an attempt to use law to outlaw code. It uses
one copyright law in an attempt to deny that another law was passed.
Outright DRM-banning is as flawed and dangerous to freedom as the laws
that prop up technically weak DRM technology, or global patent "poison
pill" clauses - it's repeating their mistake of laws about particular
technologies. We should not make special cases of denying each type of
bad law as it is passed. We should fight smarter. The best approach is
to negate DRM through requiring people to meet our standards for sharing
in some way. I believe the Scottish clause does that.

Regards,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble