cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: MJ Ray <mjr AT phonecoop.coop>
  • To: rob AT robmyers.org
  • Cc: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:25:23 +0100

Rob Myers wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > I feel how CC decision-making works was missed by the above answer.
>
> Representatives of the national porting teams and various other interest
> groups, including a Debian-Legal cabal, reviewed the license drafts in
> private.

The members and terms of reference of what you call a "cabal" above were
public since http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/04/msg00031.html
and I believe ~Evan issued both progress reports and conclusions
(although I don't have the links to hand).

Is similar data available on the so-called "teams" and "groups"?

[...]
> The public draft review process was announced some months ago on the CC
> weblog and I believe I and others publicised this in the community.

Thank you for your efforts at publicity, but what is that process? In
particular, I would very much like to know:
- Who is making decisions about CC 3.0 licences?
- When?
- How?
- What material are they presented with before deciding?
- For past decisions, what did they discuss when they decided?

(Basically, think about what information one has about any decision
taken by even the smallest tin-pot village council.)

> > On some of the points, the lack of developers on TPM-requiring platforms
> > speaking out seems to be advanced as reason to ignore the situation.
>
> Which situation?

That a blanket TPM-ban limits portability in the manners described.

> Actual users of CC licenses are overwhelmingly against DRM.

I note that was contested. Also, it does not follow that they are
overwhelmingly in favour with a blanked DRM-ban in all CC licences.

> I'm afraid that Debian Legal's arguments in favor of DRM are
> fundamentally flawed, as I have argued at length on this list and elsewhere.

Why are you afraid of arguments if they are flawed? Are your points so
weak? However, our arguments are not flawed, as I am trying to explain.

I apologise for not doing so on this list before, but there seemed to be
some problem with sending to it until ~Evan intervened.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef