cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:22:12 +0100

drew Roberts wrote:

I won't but an ipod as they don't play oggs. I don't want to buy a premium player and have to keep encumbered files on it.

Try rockbox: http://www.rockbox.org/ . It runs on most iPods as well as many other music players and can handle ogg.

I've just today popped iPodLinux on my old 3g ipod. It works fine, but it won't do ogg. (Rockbox should work on it but I can't quite get that to find the right partition at boot time.)

And in fact for most of the devices we've discussed in the context of DRM there's a GNU/Linux distro available. The others are quite happy with non-DRM media. I even bought a commercial DVD without CSS on it the other day, which both my newly Debian-ed iBook and my brand name DVD player seem quite happy to play. ;-)

- Rob.