cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:08:00 -0400

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 11:09 am, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-27-09 at 11:01 +0100, rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> > Quoting Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>:
> > > Still, it's a strong claim to argue that Debian is arguing "for DRM
> > > lock-in": that is a gross oversimplification and a smear.
> >
> > They are arguing for the "freedom" to impose DRM on other people. Which
> > has the
> > same effect.
>
> In a parallel distribution scenario, that effect is negated. If an
> unencumbered version is made available, then there is no "imposition" of
> anything. The other people still have the freedom to share, modify, and
> experiment.

And when all the players only play DRM files? What then?

> The main value of a parallel distribution proviso is to get Free
> Software and Free Content onto platforms which they couldn't be played
> on in a simplistic no-DRM-ever scenario.

I think this value is debatable and I have not yet personally reached a
conclusion as to it being positive or negative.

> Making CC-licensed music
> available for music players; sharing CC-licensed books for an ebook
> reader; putting video, audio and images onto game consoles. Parallel
> distribution lets us extend the purview of Free Content onto these
> platforms _without_ restricting the rights of users.
>
> Parallel distribution is not an acceptance of the DRM view of the world.
> It's a _subversion_ of it.

This I don't buy. It is an acceptance in my view. Now, if, pragmatically, it
is a worthwhile acceptance for the short term to obtain a better goal in the
long term is a different matter.

> It's saying, "No matter what kind of
> brain-dead architecture you build, we will turn it to our purpose, and
> we will continue to share freely with each other." And it doesn't
> require any fancy cracking skills or cryptoanalysis or getting into
> trouble for breaking oppressive laws.

I won't but an ipod as they don't play oggs. I don't want to buy a premium
player and have to keep encumbered files on it. (And before someone points to
mp3s, I consider them encumbered.)

> ~Evan

(da idea man)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145