cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] specific questions about the CC licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Bjorn Wijers <mailings AT bdisfunctional.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] specific questions about the CC licenses
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:34:07 +0200

Hi Tk,

NOTE: I am not CC nor a lawyer

1. If I decide to use the *Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 France license
, does it apply only to France or all French speaking countries and even to any countries (I plan to have the books in different languages and people could decide to get a book in a specific language that is not the national language) ? How do we know it will be valid and enforced ?

That's a lot for one question ;)

As far as I know the CC licenses are world valid and not limited to French speaking countries nor a specific language. The licenses are valid (proven in two court cases; one in The Netherlands, one in Spain). CC licenses are not being enforced by a specific organisation. You need to do this yourself.

2. The books will include a fairly important part of illustrations: Should I use then both the text and image license at the same time for each book ?

No.

It would be advisable and more clear for the end-user, but you may use different licenses for different elements of the books provided this has been labeled appropriate and made as clear as possible for the end-users.

3. About the non commercial aspect: I understand that I can decide to sell or not our products but someone else cannot resell/sell our content, correct ?

I belief this is correct. The licenses are non-exclusive and the rightsholder may therefor license a work under multiple conditions / licenses.

4. Do we need an express authorization of every author when it is a multi authors book or only the publishing decides and authorizes the use of the license ?

Depends on the arrangements you have with the authors. The rightsholder may decide to use CC, so it depends on who owns the rights...

5. Sharealike: I udnerstand that under this specific license **Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike, someone can make derivatives product BUT not sell them (ie, the modifications or the derivative product, correct ?

I am not completly sure, but I think you are correct.

6. Can my publishing company sell those derivatives by default or do I need to negotiate this point with the author(s) of the modifications ?

I would say you would need to negotiate this with the derivative author(s).

7. Finally but not least, can someone just print the on line content or scan the books and reprint them and give ithem away for free or at not profit, ie, still sell it but at cost ?

Depends on the chosen license and the definition of commercial Vs non-commercial. If you choose the non-commercial option in your license I would argue that this would be possible provided the money asked is just for the printing costs (ie material).

Hope this helps,

All the best,

grtz
BjornW