cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Does this case falls under CC Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mia Garlick <mia AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Does this case falls under CC Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 04:34:25 -0700

hey christoph,

the relevant intention as to what NC means here is yours - if you feel that this is a commercial use then you can argue that it is.

two things that may assist you - in the recent Dutch case about the applicability of CC licenses held that a commercial publisher violated the NonCommercial license limitation when they used CC NC licensed images in a magazine that was then sold to the public: see here: http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/5944 (not this is not to suggest that this Dutch decision is binding on someone operating in another country).

also, the current draft of the Draft NonCommercial guidelines would deem this use to be commercial: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc- licenses/2006-January/003125.html (guidelines are at the end of the posting). tell us if you think these guidelines accurately reflect your view of what NonCommercial means.

i do work for CC but CC cannot give legal advice or represent you (we're not a law firm)...happy to try to find you a lawyer if you need it...

all the best,

Mia Garlick
General Counsel
543 Howard St., 5th Floor
San Francisco CA 94105-3013
United States
Tel: 415-946-3073
Fax: 415-946-3001
http://creativecommons.org/

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be legal
advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be legal
advice. Creative Commons cannot and does not give legal advice. You
need to assess the suitability of Creative Commons' tools for your
particular situation, which may include obtaining appropriate legal
advice from a licensed attorney.