cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:28:06 -0400

On Thursday 06 July 2006 02:42 pm, Ben McLean wrote:
> Wait a second, I see no problem with offering proprietary software as
> a prize, for these reasons:
> 1. "Free Software" has yet to produce a music program for the PC on
> par with FruityLoops, or at least I've never heard of one.
> 2. "Free Content", acording to Lawrence Lessig's book by that name, is
> in no way opposed to the concept of a "Free Market", thus, offering
> proprietary software as a prize in a contest would not be opposed to
> free content ideals, since "Free Content" and the "Free Market" are
> also supposed to compliment each other.

The second point does not follow as it is entirely to sell Free content in
the
Free Market. (Well, perhaps not as Free content is generally protected by
copyright laws which are, in fact, government granted monopolies and so are
not really part of a Free market.

As to the first point, I was making a general point/suggestion that people
who
are interested in Free should try to promote Free wherever possible. That's
all.

Or isn't a Free market one in which the government basically doesn't
intervene? (A big gloss but still.)

(da idea man)
--
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00