cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Nova Christopher <n23ova AT yahoo.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 20:05:23 -0700 (PDT)

Could I host a remix competition from the Wired
magazine samples, found on the ccMixter site? The
contestants would only be allowed to choose from
songs/samples that are under a "sampling + 1.0"
license. The "prize" would be music-making software
(or monetary equivalent, no more than $100 USD) to the
winner of this competition (I am not sponsored by any
software companies and would not be advertising for
them). The winning song(s) would then be released
online, for free.

I have read the license but am still not totally sure.

"You are free:

To sample, mash-up, or otherwise creatively transform
this work for commercial or noncommercial purposes.

To perform, display, and distribute copies of this
whole work for noncommercial purposes (e.g.,
file-sharing or noncommercial webcasting)."

Thanks in advance for any helpful comment.