cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Getting to Version 3.0

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Getting to Version 3.0
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 23:36:47 +0000

Mia Garlick wrote:

Attached is an outline for why and how CC proposes to version to 3.0.

Interesting.

I'm quite happy to see the effort to address the concerns from Debian.

Although it seemed quite clear to me that this was nothing more than
a minor quibble, it's just silly that CC-By is considered non-free
by the DFSG standards (and pretty inconvenient for me, since I use
both Debian and some CC licenses). I learned of this argument only
recently, and I do see their point. What they wanted to do with the
wording didn't seem very controversial, so I hope it just gets folded in.

I think it will be interesting to see what FSF does with the next version
of the GNU FDL -- it seems likely that it'll be worth waiting for that. I personally
would rather see one-way FDL -> CC-By-SA compatibility. It remains to be
seen whether the FSF would agree with me on that, though. ;-)

Cheers,
Terry