cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC User License?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Prodromos Tsiavos" <p.tsiavos AT lse.ac.uk>
  • To: "'Brian Erdelyi'" <brian_erdelyi AT yahoo.com>, "'Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts'" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC User License?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:08:42 +0200

Dear Brian,

This is a really important task! We are doing similar work in the London School of Economics in relation to depicting in the form of icons the basic terms of various licences or contracts. I guess this is somewhat different from what you are trying to do but it shares the same objective: making terms and conditions of contracts accessible to end users. The problem with such schemes is that if you go just for better language then there is always going to be a number of users that still wont understand the context; if you go for icons or commons deed type of approaches then some of the elegance of the legal constructs is lost.

I have suggested to JISC in England and Wales to actually prepare a series of guidelines for how IPR contracts between educational institutions and academics or students could be classified. A very interesting related project called TrustDR has also offered to provide me with standard IPR contracts in higher education in EW in order to review them and offer some guidelines but the compilation of the compendium seems to be more difficult than originally expected.

Once you move ahead with your project, my students would be very interested in assisting in creating icons (or as Jon Bing from Oslo University calls them  copymarks) for your guidelines.

Best,

pRo