cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 20:26:09 -0500 (EST)

> Basically, I believe that at the heart of all CC-Licenses,
> should be these freedoms:
>
> 0.-The right to share the work without restriction.
> 1.-The right to read the work.
> 2.-The right to modify the work at least noncomercially.
>
> In accordance with these rights, ND should only be allowed with
> commercial licenses and simply not apply to noncommercial uses of
> commercially licensed works. ¿Do you understand now?
>
> I would like to submit these ideas about inviolable rights
> which all CC-Licenses must uphold to Creative Commons.
> ¿How do I do that?

Well, this is the "Licenses" list, so you've already done it.
I don't think you'll get _any_ support though. As I said, I believe
that NC-ND is literally the *most popular* CC license being used
by people. People want it. And Creative Commons is about trying
to create the sort of licenses that people want, while trying to
shoot for some semblance of organization and compatibility, etc.

Creative Commons isn't really in the business of coercing people
to only use certain licenses the way someone like Richard Stallman
demands a license be GNU-GPL or GNU-FDL and that's it.

CC writes licenses for Gift Economies and for Market Economies.
CC does not have a "manifesto" like Richard Stallman does,
banging tables demanding that people only use certain licenses
to achieve the result they want. CC basically creates licenses
that people want to use the way the people want to use them.
The only real caveat is that it give up "some" rights.
One other basic limitation is that CC doesn't want to split hairs
to the point where there are hundreds of licenses, all slightly
incompatible with each other.

But, you can make the suggestion, and this is the place to make it,
so there you go. But as I said, CC did some census a while back
and found the most popular CC license being used was CC-NC-ND.

The thing is that the people who used CC-NC-ND would NOT use
any other license, so if you demanded they drop NoDerivatives,
then they would probably drop the CC license completely and
they'd either go back to "all rights reserved" or some other
organization would write a non-commercial-no-derivatives license
and it wouldn't be creative commons.

But, once again, you can make whatever license request you wish
right here on this list. But I wouldn't hold your breath for
it to happen.

Greg

--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/