cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Universal Copyleft License [was: Mapping of license restrictions (CC - GFDL compatibility)]

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Universal Copyleft License [was: Mapping of license restrictions (CC - GFDL compatibility)]
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:52:44 +0100

drew Roberts skrev:
On Saturday 10 December 2005 08:04 am, Stefan Tiedje wrote:
rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
Quoting Stefan Tiedje <Stefan-Tiedje AT addcom.de>:

It may be. Certainly I gnash my teeth each time I hit an image that is
under the
FDL or NC-SA.

which might be exactly what the copyright holder wants you to do, she
might not like the way you want to use her work....

Sure, but this goes to a point I tried to make in a post a while back which is that we are not actually promoting a creative commons (well, some of us may be) but rather multiple, incompatible commons(es?) even within the Creative Commons community.

Possibly, but remember that the *users* of open source/open content licenses needn't necessarily agree with the objectives of the organizations who has drafted the licenses. The users might have other motives, might not understand the licenses and/or only partially sympathise with the values of e.g. FSF or CC. In this respect the CC approach, i.e. with many different licenses, is a better approach than FSF's, because it allows more people to fit their needs within the legal framework of one of CC licenses, thus enabling more content to be used with fewer restrictions than would be possible under current copyright law.

Opening backdoors in the current CC licenses could from this perspective be a serious mistake on the part of CC.

/Peter Brink