cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Notification option on licences

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Notification option on licences
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:27:17 +0000

Richard Hopkins wrote:
So we would want to include in our creative commons license the
requirement that anyone re-using our stuff should tell us about it.
I imagine that there are plenty of other people who would like to know
of re-use of their material.
So I suggest this a a fifht option for restrictions

No, that is a highly non-free restriction, and an undue burden. What if I get a work from a third party and I don't have a means of contacting you? Am I not allowed to use the work because your mail server went down? Or because I don't have internet access.

This restriction would likely cause a lot of harm, and the motivation of getting more grant funding does not justify the harm to the public.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
/\/`) http://oooauthors.org