cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] waiving rights (Case study: Magnatune)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] waiving rights (Case study: Magnatune)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:19:41 +0100

wiki_tomos skrev:
Peter Brink wrote:

Daniel Carrera asks a few questions about the scope of a cc-license. When a licensor licenses a work under a cc-license does that mean that he licenses the work as cast into a particular physical form or does he offer a license for all the possible physical forms the work that he has and/or will create?

This is an interesting question. IMO the license only applies to the particular physical form of a work that has a cc-license attached to it. My reason for this line of reasoning is that the license is non-exclusive, meaning that the copyright holder retains the full copyright of the work; he can create more copies of the work and create derivative works based on the work.

While I seems to think slightly differently regarding the WAV/mp3 issue, I tend to agree that CC licensing mp3 and selling WAV would be okay. Licensing mp3 format of a recording on one website and selling it without CC license on another site, I tend to think, is okay, too.
But I realized that I am not sure if the author retains full copyright. What do you think about this part (from CC-BY-SA 2.5)?

See http://creativecommons.org/about/think#Are_you_a_member_of_a_collecting_society?_If_so,_does_it_allow_you_to_CC-license_your_works?

/Peter Brink