cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:13:25 -0500

On Monday 21 November 2005 04:26 pm, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I assume you're familiar with the CC-friendly record label, Magnatune:
>
> http://magnatune.com/
>
> They offer free MP3s of all their albums under a Creative Commons
> license and you can buy CD-quality WAV files.
>
> Practical question: Are the WAV files automatically under the same CC
> license?

My take is that unlees you have a license or some text somewhere to the
effect
that the wav is under the same license, it would be dangerous to assume that
it is.

Along similar lines, I am putting 800x600 pictures here:

http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145

under CC BY-SA

while putting higher resolution versions here:

http://www.lulu.com/zotz

for sale under an all rights reserved license with the understanding that as
reach certain dollar levels I will move the higher resolution photos over to
the BY-SA license.

Think of mp3 as low res and wav as high res and I think you would see why
someone might not want this "automaticly under the same license" idea to fly.

You could even give a text file to party A with a CC BY-SA license and to
party B with an all rights reserved license. Party B might know about party
A's license, but unless they can get a copy from A or someone else A has
distributed to, they would not to my mind be able to pretend they have the
BY-SA licensed version. (Anyone see where I can be wrong in this thought?)

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22drew%20Roberts%22