cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Question about NonCommercial

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wiki_tomos <wiki_tomos AT inter7.jp>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Question about NonCommercial
  • Date: 21 Nov 2005 01:58:05 +0900

I thought about the same thing as drew did, and as Daniel point's out,
if they can trust your words, I think that's fine.

The other potential problem with this type of solution (adding words of
clarification/interpretation/understanding) is its effects on
downstream users, I think. If the licensor-licensee relation remains
only between two parties, there will be less risk of miscommunication.
But if many rounds of creating derivative works or delivering happen,
do they have to also carry your words of clarification along? If not,
does that mean downstream users can possibly ignore your wishes and
simply follow CC-BY-NC as they think the courts would interpret?
Can downstream users add their own clarification (slightly different
from Daniel's initial words) that would govern the part they
contributed? Should licensee check every upstream licensors' words
of clarification to know what they mean by non-commercial (or other terms)?

So if this convention of adding words of clarification becomes prevalent,
I am afraid there will be increased level of uncertainty in general -
a licensee cannot tell for sure what kind of extra clarifications
apply to a particular work until he do a fair amount of research.

I tend to think, perhaps naively, that it is license's job to be clear,
so that licensors and licensees can focus on creation and sharing, not
interpreting it or consulting with lawyers. But "non-commercial" is
probably too complex to clearly and precisely define. And this license
element turns out to be pretty popular.

Still, it would be better for the license to draw some line than waiting
for a lawsuit to happen, I tend to say. But I could be wrong.

Please be reminded that I am not a lawyer.

Regards,

Tomos