cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] My feelings on GFDL compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] My feelings on GFDL compatibility
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:53:11 +0000

Hi Evan,

Evan Prodromou wrote:
First, I think that any expectations that the GFDL will be modified to allow derivatives of GFDL works to be licensed under by-sa are probably misguided...

Second, I think that one-way compatibility is a good idea...

But how do you feel about the Invariant Sections issue? You release a work under the BY-SA, someone relicenses it under the GFDL and adds the 'xyz Manifesto' in front as an Invariant Section.

Wouldn't such use be counter to the goals of BY-SA?
How would BY-SA users feel if they saw this happen to their work?
Wouldn't this be unfair to BY-SA users?

I like the idea of compatibility. Even one-way compatibility. But I have serious concerns over the invariant sections issue. I don't want my work to be made more closed when I intended it to be open.

Thirdly, I don't think there's much point in having a referendum on the quality of the GFDL. It is in effect just about equivalent to the Attribution-ShareAlike 1.0 and above, with the differences being how many and which extraneous bytes each license requires distributors to include.

What about Invariant Sections? BY-SA 1.0 didn't have that.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
/\/`) http://oooauthors.org