cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Hannes <hannes AT atalante.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:45:48 +0200

rob AT robmyers.org wrote:

Quoting Hannes <hannes AT atalante.org>:

I think many people are drawn to the CC licenses because they aren't
forced to read the full legal code to get an understanding of how the
license works. My notion is that people who have not read the legal code
in detail and who know nothing of sync licenses and the like assume that
movies are handled as other collective works. That's why I see a problem
in that movies are an exception, and that it's not made clear in the
summary.

Are movies collective works in law? It would be strange if they were.

Sorry, that's not what I meant to imply. I'm definitely not a lawyer and I know little of licenses in general. I've recently become interested in CC because I like how they try to make their licenses available to common people like me who don't have time to read and interpret page after page of legal codes (or learn how to write them myself).

All I want is to avoid misunderstandings, because I had personally not understood that movies were considered a derivative work if used together with a CC licensed musical composition or sound recording.

Hannes