cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] use for software

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] use for software
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:16:43 +0100

Tom Hosiawa wrote:

That is basically what I'm looking for. I've read stuff about the GPL
and people just saying it doesn't affect web apps, but I've never read
a good argument on how it doesn't.

Under the GPL, you only have to provide your source code when you distribute the compiled application publicly.

Making a web application available through a server does not count as distributing the compiled application publicly, because the compiled application isn't actually downloaded by anyone.

So this is a loophole. You can take GPL code, modify it extensively, use it in a public way but not have to provide your modified source.

GPL 3 is going to tackle this, although no-one knows quite how yet.

- Rob.