cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] use for software

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] use for software
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:01:13 -0400

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 22:02 -0400, Tom Hosiawa wrote:

> Basically, we feel since this is a web application where it could
> easily be used to generate revenue, we would like to keep the option
> open for basing a small business around it. Since the GPL doesn't
> really do anything for us since web apps aren't really distributed, we
> feel the above license fits our model much better and still allows us
> to release the code for free to the open source community.

It's not "Open Source" if you prohibit use in commercial applications.

> So I'm wondering if it's totally against the the recommendation to use
> CC for software, or if it's just recommended to use other software
> licenses?

The license text is really not well-suited to issues surrounding
software. You're walking into a mess of trouble if you decide to use it.

Probably a better idea would be to find a good lawyer who'd write a
non-commercial software-specific license for you.

~Evan