cc-licenses - Re: Intended Meaning of "Non-Commercial"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT math.umd.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Intended Meaning of "Non-Commercial"
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:39:47 -0400

Greg London wrote:

> Once you obtain the work, you can do anything
> with it commercially as long as it doesnt require
> you to copy/distribute/derive.

Hhmm... I understand better, but still have doubts.

> > * If the work can be used to help me provide a paid service. For example,
> > suppose I'm a teacher, and I use the work to teach. Is that commercial?
>
> If you distribute the work as part of your textbook, it breaks the license.

Say I give the book to a student for free, and charge for the teaching
services. Is that allowed?

> > * If I use the work to advertise another product. Is that commercial?
>
> you're distributing the work as part of teh advertisement,
> so if you're paid for it, it breaks the license.

Say I make shoes. Someone takes a picture of one of my shoes and publishes
it under the BY-NC. I grab that picture and put it on a flyer advertising
my shoes. I give out the flyer for free.

Does that break the license?

> Note: this is what I THOUGHT non-commercial meant.
> Now it has to be qualified with whether or not
> you make a profit or not.
>
> Don't worry. I'm selling your work "at cost".
> Yeah, that's it. Trust me. It's at cost.

Well, /that/ is not the situation I'm concerned about. I am happy to
consider "non-commercial" to mean $0 for /selling/ copies, or making
copies. What I'm concerned about is alternate ways to make money off the
product that don't involve charging for copies.

Daniel Carrera | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today! | I want it Tuesday.
http://oooauthors.org |