cc-licenses - Re: Intended Meaning of "Non-Commercial"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Intended Meaning of "Non-Commercial"
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:27:24 -0400 (EDT)

all licenses are restricted to the right
to copy, distribute, or create derivatives.

so you cannot print (copy) an NC work for money.
you cannot sell (distribute) an NC work for money.
and you cannot be hired to write a sequel (derive).

Once you obtain the work, you can do anything
with it commercially as long as it doesnt require
you to copy/distribute/derive.

> * If work is a book. Can I study the book and what I learned to get a
> job? Is what "for commercial purposes"? Does that break the license?

as long as your job doesn't pay you to copy, or distribute, or derive
the work, it's outside the license. i.e. it isn't infringement.
If you learn french from a NC book, you could be hired to be an
interpreter, and you could even carry around a copy or the
book that taught you french.

> * If the work can be used to help me provide a paid service. For example,
> suppose I'm a teacher, and I use the work to teach. Is that commercial?

If you distribute the work as part of your textbook, it breaks the license.

> * If I use the work to advertise another product. Is that commercial?

you're distributing the work as part of teh advertisement,
so if you're paid for it, it breaks the license.

Note: this is what I THOUGHT non-commercial meant.
Now it has to be qualified with whether or not
you make a profit or not.

Don't worry. I'm selling your work "at cost".
Yeah, that's it. Trust me. It's at cost.

Greg