cc-licenses - Re: Question: What does sublicense mean?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Question: What does sublicense mean?
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:22:21 +0200

drew Roberts skrev:

"
: a license granted by a licensee that grants some or all of the rights (as to a patent) acquired under the original license"

Fine, but in context, doesn't the "all of the rights" part happen automatically as part of the original license?

Yes - that is covered by the License Grant (item 3 in the license).

If I release a work CC BY, the people who get the work and the rights from me cannot give the work to others with those same rights? That makes no sense.

They cannot both distribute a work under a) the same license *and* b) sublicense the work under different terms.

When you distribute a work licensed under a CC license you are *not* issuing a new license, you are merely making the work available under the very same license you yourself has made use of.

When you distribute a derivative work you do issue a new license.

/Peter Brink