cc-licenses - Re: [cc-community] Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-community] Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:39:33 -0500 (EST)

Rob Myers said:
> Conditionalising downstream use on not asserting moral rights was one of the
> suggestions I made for handling moral rights in the CC-UK licenses.

Sorry I missed it.

> But a conditionalised license would *not* prevent you from asserting your
> rights, it would just remove your license to the work if you did. So your
> rights are unaffected.

That's fine.

The idea is that a community wants as many people to use their
work as possible. If one contributer on the project decides
to invoke moral rights to stop some particular use of the entire
project, then it prevents the community from getting what it wants.

This basically says "we all agree to play according to certain
rules and if you don't want to play by those rules, you should
go play somewhere else"

If someone invokes their moral rights on a group project,
they may be able to prevent some use based on "reputation",
and the project will have to remove the contributions from
this person to get around it, but the person who invoked
their moral rights also loses the right to the community work.

Moral Rights has no consequences to the author.
This at least puts some consequences in place
so that a contributer has to decide who they
want to play with.