cc-licenses - Re: Different warranty disclaimers?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Robin Millette <millette AT waglo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Different warranty disclaimers?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:53:56 -0500

Evan Prodromou wrote:
So, after doing the plain text versions of the CC licenses, I did some
diff's to make sure that I hadn't accidentally added in any errors. That
is, I wanted to make sure that the by-2.0 and by-sa-2.0 only differed by
the addition of the ShareAlike element and some section-numbering
issues.

I was surprised to see that there were various other textual
differences. Probably the most interesting was the differences in the
warranty disclaimers. Here's the warranty disclaimer in the Attribution
2.0 license:

[snip]

Note "MUTUALLY AGREED BY" vs. "MUTUALLY AGREED TO BY".

Anyways, unless there's some good reason for it, these should probably
be made equal in some future version of the licenses.

That is very strange. The translations where all done from a single document, the licence containing all clauses. Then that was broken into the individual clauses and reassembled to make each complete translations. This would mean that the translations shouldn't show this discrepancy. I haven't verified this though.

--
Robin Millette, aka oqp http://rym.waglo.com/wordpress/
http://www.cogitateurs-agitateurs.org/ - Cogitateurs Agitateurs