cc-licenses - "rights society" vs. "rights agency"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: "rights society" vs. "rights agency"
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:40:12 -0500

Another text discrepancy in the 2.0 licenses: by, by-nc, by-nc-nd, and by-nc-sa all have this line:
rights agency or designated agent (e.g. Harry Fox Agency),
In the same place, by-nd and by-sa both say:
rights society or designated agent (e.g. Harry Fox Agency),
I have no frickin' idea what the difference is between a rights agency and a rights society, but I figure that some distinction is intended, since they all mention:
rights society (e.g. ASCAP, BMI, SESAC)
Anyways, my guess is that "rights agency" is the correct term here. I'd propose that in future versions of the by-nd and by-sa the words "rights agency" be used instead of "rights society".

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou
evan AT bad.dynu.ca

  • "rights society" vs. "rights agency", Evan Prodromou, 03/19/2005