cc-licenses - Re: Dual Licensing based upon the form of the work

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Dual Licensing based upon the form of the work
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:50:59 -0500

On Mon, 2005-14-03 at 07:57 -0500, Greg London wrote:
The point of CC's market economy licenses is to give up some of your
rights as a way to empower your readers on some level so they can
champion your stories.
I don't believe that that's the stated point of any of Creative Commons's licenses. I realize that many of them fit into your model of the licensing landscape, but I don't think it's fair to claim that any of the licenses are "supposed" to do any one thing.

Please remember that there are thousands of people who use the CC licenses, and each one has his or her own reasons.
Either empower them to get
creative in their own way (NC-SA), or work with them to create a singular
RPG work that has your approval (NC-ND).
Greg was right in that Creative Commons doesn't have a mechanism for restricting derivative works based on medium or expressive form. If you need to make one, you should start with a CC license and get a lawyer to help you adapt it. I'd strongly recommend, as Greg said, that you let your fans express their appreciation for your work and worlds in RPGs, images, and, yes, non-canon fanfic.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou
evan AT bad.dynu.ca