cc-licenses - Re: Concerns: CC-BY and Debian

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT math.umd.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Concerns: CC-BY and Debian
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:08:11 -0500

Branko Collin wrote:

> FSF: "The idea of invariant sections is that they give you a way to
> express nontechnical personal opinions about the topic."
>
> I guess it's a method of ensuring a "moral right" using the license.

But it can be abused.

> I can understand why this would upset the Debian folks: not everybody
> agrees that there is such a thing as moral rights, and others might
> feel that moral rights are sufficiently protected outside copyright
> law.

Btw, I do believe that there is such thing as moral rights. And I haven't
actually said that the FDL is a non-free license. I remind you, I simply
relayed Debian's opinion.

> The biggest problem I see with invariant sections (I am still
> undecided about moral rights), is that they can be misused.

That's precisely the problem I see with them. Someone can say, "the
invariant section is the ENTIRE document".

Daniel Carrera | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today! | I want it Tuesday.
http://oooauthors.org |