cc-licenses - Re: Concerns: CC-BY and Debian

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Branko Collin" <collin AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Concerns: CC-BY and Debian
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:29:20 +0100

On 10 Mar 2005, at 18:41, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> There are also freedom-related issues. The CC-BY license is A LOT more
> free than the GNU FDL. Debian has major issues with it. Enough to
> merit a position statement:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.xhtml
>
> Contrast this with the CC-BY, where Debian feels that it is "almost"
> free. They agree that the intent is obviously "free". And they are
> just concerned about some details of word choice.

Could you expand a little bit on this, especially WRT what you
consider to be "free" and "freedom"? I happen to agree with the FSF's
position, where freedom flows downstream. Debian's Position Statement
however seems to think that only authors should be free and have
freedom (granted, I only looked at the bit about DRM before I turned
away irritated).

Perhaps you should use another term, because the words "free" and
"freedom" may be too confusing. I do not think I have ever seen two
people agree on a definition of these words.

--
branko collin
collin AT xs4all.nl