cc-licenses - Re: distribution of licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: distribution of licenses
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:00:14 -0500

On Monday 07 March 2005 10:18 am, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 08:02:35AM -0500, drew Roberts wrote:
> > As an aside, if I license a work, CC BY-NC, what licenses can be put
> > on derivatives? CC BY-NC and CC BY-NC-ND?
>
> No, ANY license can be applied to a derivative of a BY-NC, as long as it
> retains attribution to the original author--and maybe even not that. I
> looked at the full text this morning, and am unsure that derivatives of
> derivatives require attribution to the original (first generation)
> author. Maybe someone else can clarify that aspect.
>
> I'm also a little confused by the phrase "You may not sublicense the
> Work." As far as I understand the license, there's nothing stopping
> derivative of a non-SA license from being relicensed BY, BY-SA, BY-NC,
> BY-ND, or some other combination as desired. As I read it, as long as
> you don't "sublicense" (relicense?) the *original* work, you can do what
> you like with subsequent licensing options.

So, as per your understanding, if I license BY-NC, you can make a derivative
and and charge money for your derivative? What about making it all rights
reserved? BY alone? If so, perhaps this is why you need the SA even with an
NC, although this still leaves the 1meaning cloudiness Greg is concerned
about.