cc-licenses - Re: cc licenses on trademark?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sigmascape1 AT cs.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: cc licenses on trademark?
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 07:43:39 -0500

I think it would be fantastic for CC to engage the trademark arena. I realize
that the primary reason that CC emphasizes copyright licensing is because one
doesn't have to purchase a copyright under U.S. law, it is in essence, free.
Trademarks, like patents, are not free (at least in terms of formally
establishing them). However I am aware of the 'common law trademark' which
allows someone to use the classic 'TM' mark for material not formally
registered as a trademark. I have no idea what CC may have in mind for the
trademark issue... helping establishing a mark? Providing a license to
existing mark holders? I just think it makes since for CC to look into this
area of IP.

Thanks!

Mitch