cc-licenses - Re: cc licenses on trademark?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Thomas <thomas AT xicnet.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: cc licenses on trademark?
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:52:21 +0100

My start-point is: I want people use my trademark at certain conditions.

These could be: the product associated with this trademark should be under a specific license (or allow some rights and impose some dutes), but is jast one case.

So my trademark can identify among people products which are released under certain conditions. This satisfy the requirements you point out ("...uniquely identify the source of ...")

So it were also possible to immagine some trademark which includes a variety of licenses which can be used for some product.

Then, consider if attribution, comercial, share alike and so on could fit is my question ;-)

thom

Kevin Shrieve wrote:
I actually don't get the concept, and would appreciate just a bit of clarification...

Isn't the function of trademark to uniquely identify the source of a product? And doesn't the law state that if the trademark owner let's that identification become unclear, the trademark could be lost?

Where would sharing (or other CC goals) fit into the isse of trademark?

Thanks for your good work,

Kevin