cc-licenses - Re: Creative Commons Attribution License Question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Creative Commons Attribution License Question
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:29:15 -0500 (EST)

Sigmascape1 AT cs.com said:
> Hi,
>
> I realize now how I have confused my initial question. Basically, I wanted
> know if a photo covered under the CC Attribution license could be re-package
> by anyone, and then sold as is? I don't want to restrict the distribution of
> the content, I just don't know if I want someone else (other than me)
> selling
> verbatim copies. I do want someone to be able to make commercial use of the
> media.

Well, see, you have to decide which one you want, because
"selling verbatim copies" is "commercial use of teh media",
so you have mutually exclusive requirements.

If you want to allow commercial use EXCEPT for verbatim distribution,
then you're talking about one of the sampling licenses.
Sampling allows commercial use of DERIVED works, but not the original.

Sampling-plain does not allow any distibution of the original.
(folks would have to come to you to get a copy)
Sampling-Plus would allow NONCOMMERCIAL distribution of the original.

If you want people to be able to share your pictures on a peer to peer
network as long as they don't charge money, then you want to use
sampling-plus.

If you want people to come to you or your website to get the original
then you're looking at sampling without teh -plus.

Greg