cc-licenses - Re: Creative Commons Attribution License Question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: nono2sco <nono2sco AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Creative Commons Attribution License Question
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:41:54 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mitch,

If you are worried about possible commercial use could
you not use the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
2.0?
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

Which in terms of commercial use says...

"4c You may not exercise any of the rights granted to
You in Section 3 above in any manner that is primarily
intended for or directed toward commercial advantage
or private monetary compensation. The exchange of the
Work for other copyrighted works by means of digital
file-sharing or otherwise shall not be considered to
be intended for or directed toward commercial
advantage or private monetary compensation, provided
there is no payment of any monetary compensation in
connection with the exchange of copyrighted works."

If I understand it correctly it would prohbit
downstram commercial use, but still allow you to
republish your work at some point for commercial use
should you chose to.

Otherwise I believe the commercial versions of the CCL
would allow someone to do basically the inverse of the
above and distribute your work, with attribution and
CCL notice for commercial advantage.

nono

p.s. If it hits the p2p networks I would not assume
that everyone will respect the license, but at least
you have some recourse if they do not.