cc-licenses - Re: [Fwd: Re: Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?]

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: erik.sandberg.9195 AT student.uu.se, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?]
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:59:01 -0500 (EST)

Erik Sandberg said:
> On Monday 13 December 2004 20.35, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
>> Does the library really get to claim copyright on photocopies (I'm
>> assuming that's what "fascimiles" means) of public domain material?
>
> Yes. I can choose between photocopies and scans of this material, which is

I'd agree with the others that this sounds out of whack.
As someone already mentioned, the only way I can figure they
could do something like this is if you have to sign some sort
of "user agreement", but I've never heard of a "user agreement"
for a public library. You may agree to bring books back within
"N" number of days, and they may admonish you to not infringe
on anyone's copyright by photocopying stuff, but I find it hard
to believe that the library itself can extend its own claim onto
public domain works.