cc-licenses - Re: [Fwd: Re: Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?]

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Erik Sandberg <erik.sandberg.9195 AT student.uu.se>
  • To: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>, cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Erik.Sandberg.9195 AT student.uu.se
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?]
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:24:48 +0100

On Monday 13 December 2004 20.35, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> BTW you might want to add CC metadata to pages like
> http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=508 so they can
> be found via http://search.creativecommons.org .

Thanks, I have forwarded it to the mutopia coordinator.

> > Now I am also interested in sharing these facsimiles over Internet, so
> > that other people can help me by proofreading my score. Now the library
> > refuses to release their facsimiles as Public Domain
>
> Does the library really get to claim copyright on photocopies (I'm
> assuming that's what "fascimiles" means) of public domain material?

Yes. I can choose between photocopies and scans of this material, which is
clearly public domain. But I am not allowed to assist in the copying process,
I have to pay them to do it. For some vague reasons, the library does not
only claim copyright for the photocopying action, they also use the copyright
to put very high restrictions on the notes.

It's a big library (Uppsala University library, www.ub.uu.se) and they do
have
their own lawyers, so I assume their copyright claims are legal. (though they
are quite much against the principles of 'public good' and information
freedom that libraries historically have supported)

Erik