cc-licenses - Re: Copyright of derivative work released under a CC licence

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Copyright of derivative work released under a CC licence
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:13:22 -0500 (EST)

> On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 13:29 +0200, Raffaello Tesi wrote:
>> Now, I do understand that I'm the author of a derivative work, but I
>> think that I am the copiright holder of that, since I am responsible of
>> the full coding and behaviour of that work, which is meant to look as
>> close as possible to another one, but that is coded under a completely
>> different environment, and on which the original author has no
>> responsibility.

I'm not exactly clear I undestand your situation here, but...

If the code was redone from scratch, and it creates a webpage with a
similar layout and functionality of some proprietary code,
you MIGHT be able to claim it is an independent work.

Sort of like coding up two completely functionally identical programs
but with completely different source code.

You'll probably want to avoid an identical copy of the layout of
the website it generates, though. I forget exactly how that sort of
thing qualifies for any sort of artistic protection...