cc-licenses - Re: library use (was: no subject)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: library use (was: no subject)
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:42:47 -0800

Christiane Asschenfeldt wrote:
*From: *Ignasi Labastida i Juan <ilabastida AT ub.edu>
*Date: *11. November 2004 12:20:55 GMT+00:00
*To: *cc-icommons AT lists.ibiblio.org
*Subject: [Cc-icommons] Question about libraries

We are working with some librarians from Universities and we have
many open questions about CC.
licenses. Question about rights and libraries:

If a library downloads music with a CC license, could it let that
sample as an item of the library? What about a text? Could it print it?

If the answer is no to either that would be bizarre. The licenses don't restrict libraries from doing things any other licensor could.

And if the license is with the noncomercial label, what about a
library where the users have to pay for use?

I don't know.

I would like to know the situation in other countries.

--
Mike Linksvayer
http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21