cc-licenses - Re: Providing The Source For Paintings [Was Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?]

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president AT freeroleplay.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Providing The Source For Paintings [Was Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?]
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:09:36 +0000

Rob Myers wrote:
On Tuesday, November 30, 2004, at 10:44AM, Ricardo Gladwell
<president AT freeroleplay.org> wrote:
I don't really think the example negates the ability to provide a transparant copy provision: there are ways around your edge example. You could require "transparant" copies only where applicable (i.e. explicitly exclude paintings). Conversely, you can simply require that, for example, an image file in a non-proprietary format for the painting is also supplied online.

Providing a high-resolution PNG of the painting is a good way of
making the painting accessible, providing various resolutions
would make it even more accessible (for example if I want a
desktop or an illustration I'd take lo-rez, if I want to sample a
brushstroke I'd take hi-rez). But some paintings are very large,
and would result in multi-gigabyte files to capture their entire
surface at a resolution useful for sampling to make equivalent
work.

I don't think the production of a hi-resolution image is a problem so long as you are supplying the source. Similarly, there is nothing stopping you then supplying the compressed image as a JPEG and supplying that as a "source" of the project: both allow users to use the image in their own works.

The simplest way of making the painting accessible is to
remove any "no photography" signs. People can photograph the work
as well as sketch it. Are there any museums with "no sketching"
signs?

I think the best solution is make a distinction between physical publications and digital publications. My impression is that the freedoms contained in the CCPL or are really effectively applicable to digital works. For example, in the case of a painting how does Share Alike apply? How do you create a derivative work of a physical painting? One can only do so when the painting is converted into a digital format.

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community