cc-licenses - Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president AT freeroleplay.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:49:56 +0000

Peter Brink wrote:
Todd A. Jacobs skrev:
Should it be a requirement? Well, that's a tough question. The intent of
the CC licenses is to free the *ideas*, not the tangible form. So,
there's really no requirement to make the tangible form easily
accessible and/or modifiable.

Actually, it's the tangible format that all Open Source/Open Content licenses seeks to "free" - ideas are always free for anyone to express as they wish.

/Peter Brink

Indeed, you cannot copyright ideas, only their representation.

However, as I have argued before, by publishing content in closed, proprietary formats you can also restrict the free flow of ideas. In the case of Brand X proprietary word processor, whilst it may be legal to only publish content in this format under the CCPL, the format itself may not be open and thus it may be difficult if not impossible to use the content unless you pay a large ammount of money for the application.

I think it is bad that the convenience of up-stream authors should take precedence over the freedoms of down-stream authors.

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community