cc-licenses - Re: license question - photo of museum exhibit

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Davis <jamesd AT jml.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: license question - photo of museum exhibit
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:00:52 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Branko Collin wrote:

> Which type of rights are we talking about? Does the museum own
> copyrights to the dino bone? Or do visitors agree to transfer all
> copyrights to the museum?

I can't comment about the US, but in the UK (and IANAL) you don't have any
right to take photographs on private property, you'll have to agree to any
terms before taking photographs. If that involves transfering copyrights
then that's what it involves, you have to ask.

There's no copyright that covers dinosaurs. :-)

> I am asking, because in my country I have seen museums and archive make
> up rights, such as 'reproduction rights'.

If you hold the copyright on a work, you're allowed to specify the
circumstances under which your work can be copied, if at all. I believe
these are the 'reproduction rights'.

James

--
"You're turning into a penguin. Stop it"
http://jamesd.ukgeeks.co.uk/