cc-licenses - Re: license question - photo of museum exhibit

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Branko Collin" <collin AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: license question - photo of museum exhibit
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:45:08 +0100

On 24 Nov 2004, at 10:06, James Davis wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Hugh McGuire wrote:
>
> > I have a license, copyright question: if I take a photograph of a
> > museum exhibit, (say dino bones at the smithsonian), can I put those
> > photos into the public domain?
>
> It depends upon the rules you agreed to with the museum when you took
> the photographs. Many simply allow photographs for your own personal
> use, requiring a fee for more rights. Others allow more.

Which type of rights are we talking about? Does the museum own
copyrights to the dino bone? Or do visitors agree to transfer all
copyrights to the museum?

Also, what if a museum is owned by the US government? (Do such
museums exist at all?)

I am asking, because in my country I have seen museums and archive
make up rights, such as 'reproduction rights'.

--
branko collin
collin AT xs4all.nl