cc-licenses - Re: Question about attribution

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Question about attribution
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:29:23 -0500 (EST)

I believe the language of the license says URL attribution
is required if the URL is provided. If no URL is provided,
then no URL attribution is required. This allows one license
to handle either case.

Also note the 3 requirements for the URL:
(1) linking back must be "reasonably practicable" -- you can't string me up
for failing to link to a dead page, for example; (2) the licensor must specify
a URL -- if you don't provide one specifically, I have no linkback obligation;
(3) the link licensor provides must point to the copyright and licensing
notice of the CC'd work -- in other words, licensors who abuse the linkback as
an engine for traffic to unrelated sites don't enjoy linkback rights.

I use URL attribution on some of my stuff, for example:

http://www.greglondon.com/hunger/givemestorm.html

with a URL attribution here:

http://www.greglondon.com/nc