cc-licenses - Re: How to overlay creativecommons licensing logos

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Branko Collin" <collin AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: How to overlay creativecommons licensing logos
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:57:23 +0200

On 20 Oct 2004, at 14:36, Rob Myers wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 20, 2004, at 02:20PM, Branko Collin
> <collin AT xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> >That's an interesting notion of the law. So basically, if enough
> >people do something, it is legal?
>
> I think the poster was asking about the *application* of current law,
> not opining about the *formation* of future law.
>
> How *do* broadcasters get away with superimposing their identity warts
> over content? Is this covered in their licenses for the content, is
> there a standard exemption in law, or is it a grey area that big
> business isn't in a hurry to resolve?

I don't know, but I expect it is one of the above. :-)

Keep in mind that many of the things we consider legal now
(broadcasting, home copying) were once considered infringement. The
idea that we should prosecute large scale copyright infringement
instead of legalizing it is something relatively recent.

--
branko collin
collin AT xs4all.nl