cc-licenses - Re: CC by-sa and GFDL for wikis

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Alex Schroeder <alex AT gnu.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC by-sa and GFDL for wikis
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:33:02 +0200

Wikis and licensing... I've spent a good many hours on the subject.
For www.emacswiki.org we decided to switch to a much simpler license
that is compatible with all other licenses I care about, and accepted
the fact that we would be unable to incorporate outside articles.

Basically this one here:

This work is licensed to you under version 2 of the GNU General
Public License. Alternatively, you may choose to receive this work
under any other license that grants the right to use, copy,
modify, and/or distribute the work, as long as that license
imposes the restriction that derivative works have to grant the
same rights and impose the same restriction. For example, you may
choose to receive this work under the GNU Free Documentation
License, the CreativeCommons ShareAlike License, the XEmacs manual
license, or similar licenses.

We were more interested in developing content on the wiki and let it
be integrated in other works than doing it the other way. But the
restriction of not being able to do it both ways is frustrating.

Alex.
--
.O. http://www.emacswiki.org/alex/
..O Schroeder's fifth law:

  • CC by-sa and GFDL, Jeremy, 09/21/2004
    • Re: CC by-sa and GFDL for wikis, Alex Schroeder, 09/24/2004