cc-licenses - CC by-sa and GFDL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jeremy <jeremy AT linuxquestions.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: CC by-sa and GFDL
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:03:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I am the admin of the LQ Wiki (http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/), which allows users to collaboratively build a free, complete and up-to-date Linux knowledgebase and aims to become the largest general-knowledge Linux repository on the web. We chose the CC by-sa license as it was simple and allowed for the easy redistribution of single articles. We am now running into the fact that much Linux related content is under the GFDL. We have been somewhat successful in getting authors to relicense some content, but that is not really a solution that scales. We are considering adding the ability to license an LQ Wiki article under either the CC by-sa *or* the GFDL, but that greatly complicates the setup, could mean a considerable duplication of effort due to some articles existing under both licenses and it would mean the entire contents of the wiki would not be redistributable in its entirety. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or comments on this situation. Does having both licenses as an option seem like a viable solution? I have also heard rumors of the FSF and the Creative Commons attempting to make at least some CC licenses (and by-sa seems like a good candidate) and the GFDL compatible. This would really be the ideal solution. Has anyone heard anything further about this? Thanks.

--jeremy