cc-licenses - Question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Tom Morris <tom AT bbcity.co.uk>
  • To: Creative Commons <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Question
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:38:49 +0100

Hi all,

I'm involved in an audiobooks project, and am trying to take public domain texts and turn them in to MP3's. Which is fine, as they are public domain. But I recently started doing a book - "Beyond Good and Evil" by Nietzsche. I found a public domain translation on Gutenberg. In addition, I felt that I wanted an introduction for some of the books so I am using articles from Wikipedia.

With regards to Creative Commons material, here's my problem. Say I take something that is ShareAlike. I record a version of it in MP3, and release it ShareAlike too. That is going to be one file. But what of the rest of the audio book? I don't want to use ShareAlike on that - I want to dedicate it to the public domain.

So, say we've got Beyond Good and Evil - the book I'm currently converting:

Introduction (from Wikipedia) - GFDL.
or an Introduction based on CC materials - ShareAlike.
Rest of the book (in seperate files for each chapter) - PD.

Is that okay?

--
Tom Morris
http://www.bbcity.co.uk