cc-licenses - Attribution discussion (was Re: Attribution War)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Attribution discussion (was Re: Attribution War)
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:53:11 -0400

GL> Alice creates a song, licenses it CC-NC, and forgoes any
GL> attribution requirements. Bob mixes Alice's song into his own
GL> song, license his song CC-NC, and wants attribution.

ITYM he licenses it by-nc, at that point. Or perhaps that's not what
you mean. Do you really mean that he licenses it nc 1.0, and simply
_requests_ attribution?

GL> Charlie puts Bob's song in his CC-NC movie short.

It's unclear to me whether Charlie can release a movie short under
just nc if Bob put his stuff under by-nc. I'm guessing the question is
whether Charlie's movie is a single derivative work or a collective
work (I think probably the second). But that's another kettle of fish,
and I figure you probably meant that Charlie would license under by-nc
also.

GL> At the end of the movie, the credits roll, and you see

GL> Screenplay : Charlie
GL> Soundtrack : Bob

GL> after all the credits roll, you see a screen dump of all the
GL> copyright notices, including one for Alice.

Why does Charlie have Alice's copyright notice in there? nc 1.0
doesn't require the copyright notice to be shown.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/nc/1.0/legalcode

Does he do it out of thoughtfulness and generosity?

GL> If Charlie's movie uses metadata to carry copyright notice
GL> information, then you wouldn't even see Alice's name anywhere
GL> in the movie. It would simply tag along in the metadata.

Or not. AFAICT, he doesn't have to include it anywhere.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://wikitravel.org/en/