cc-licenses - Re: Van Helsing and the Public Domain

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "J.B. Nicholson-Owens" <jbn AT forestfield.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Van Helsing and the Public Domain
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:14:40 -0500

Greg London wrote:
At issue is the phrase
"contribute their work to the PD"
(which is verbatim from the original post, btw)

No, what's at issue is how you altered the context of the quote by (twice now) misquoting what I wrote. You chose not to include any part of my words which would indicate that I realize the hypocrisy of Disney's support of the copyright term extension act is based in their desire to pursue a neverending term of copyright -- they don't want us to be able to build on their work like they build on the works in the PD. Perhaps I could have been more clear by stating that I'm aware that the PD is not a copyleft; one can build on the PD and make a copyrighted work. But that copyright should expire (preferably in far fewer years than it currently does) and works should regularly enter the PD. The way you chose to respond was unnecessarily harshly worded and you did it exactly as Per I. Mathisen pointed out -- attaching my name to an misleadingly edited quote so that you could build an argument and then tear it down.

I host a community radio show called Digital Citizen on WEFT 90.1 FM every other Wednesday from 8-10p. I do this to bring more people into the fight for a more reasonable copyright policy. I figure that if more people understand what has happened and what'It's a shame that you are so angry at someone who (unbeknownst to you) is doing good work to help my community better understand the issues at hand. I encourage you to reconsider your tone so that you don't miss out on the chance to bring more people to a better understanding of how our copyright policy isn't helping our society.